photo; Warwick SU

Success for Summer Party 2013

Sunday 23 June saw thousands of students descend on University House Field for the Warwick University Summer Party 2013.
A star-studded line up of acts was headed by electronic quartet Rudimental, and DJ Zane Lowe, who also played in the Copper Rooms during this year’s Freshers’ Week.
As reported in the Boar, soloist Katy B stepped in at short notice to take the place of Labrinth,  the producer behind the hit also featuring Tinie Tempah, Earthquake.
Labrinth pulled out under a week before the Summer Party was due to take place, due to record company commitments in America.
The party, which began at 12pm in less-than-favourable weather conditions, was opened by Battle of the Bands victors Nurse Joy and complemented by a selection of student and Nana’s Palace DJs on the Secret Stage.
The bad weather failed to deter most however, and  first-year Biomedical Sciences student Shannon Taggart was impressed with the party. She said: “I found the festival excellent value for money, and I thoroughly enjoyed the music and crowd atmosphere.”
Acts in previous years have included Chase and Status, Noah and the Whale, and Bombay Bicycle Club.
The various other stages played host to bands King Charles, and By the Rivers. There were also other attractions such as bumper cars and fairground rides.
The Summer Party was rounded off in the Copper Rooms by a selection of lively MTV DJs, in an after-party that went on until four in the morning.
Nick Swain, president of the Students’ Union, said: “I thought the whole day was brilliant and it was definitely the strongest line-up of acts ever, but I especially enjoyed Rudimental and Zane Lowe.
“It was clear from the start that the weather wasn’t going to dampen anyone’s mood, and it was great to see so many people enjoying the event.”
First-year English student Jodie Marsden agreed. She said: “Even suffering from tonsillitis and completely sober, I had a great time.”
First-year Biological Sciences student Molly Williams added: “Rudimental was a sure high point for me, with an amazing atmosphere all round.”
“The after-party went on to be more than expected, with great music from MTV DJs.”