The Awards will take place in Butterworth Hall / Photo: Warwick SU

Societies Awards return to Warwick

The Societies Awards are returning to Warwick University on Tuesday 25 June.

The event is to be held in Butterworth Hall at the Warwick Arts Centre, and will comprise of entertainment, drama and music performances, as well as an awards ceremony.

A two-course meal and wine will be included in the ticket price and there will be an after party in the Terrace Bar for society members to continue their celebrations. There are eight awards for which societies could put themselves forward, including Society of the Year, Most Improved Society, Best New Society, Best Event and Best Academic, Community, Cultural and Arts, and Media Societies.

There will also be an Outstanding Contribution Award, which is for individual society members to be revealed on the night.

Silkie Cragg, societies officer at Warwick Students’ Union, told the Boar: “The event completely sold out even after we increased capacity and due to sponsorship we have managed to heavily subsidise it so students will enjoy an excellent meal, and plenty of wine (and soft drinks)!”

It was reported that four nominations were received at 11.59am, a minute before the nominations deadline, and three were received at 12pm.

There were more than 100 nominations for the eight awards and all of the tickets for the event have sold out.

Silkie added: “The committee deliberated all 127 nominations from 8am until midnight and for some of the awards there is as little as three percentage points between the top three – so the Awards night will be tense at times!

“Local councillors will be in attendance as well as the most senior staff at the University, because it is essential these groups realise that societies contribute so vastly to the local area and to the entire ‘Warwick experience’ – perhaps its worth investing a little more in them!”