Pint of Purple: Tolga Kuyucuoglu

IMG_2166-120x120What book are you reading at the moment?

I plan to start reading the Game of Thrones novels once my exams are over. I have to find out if Khaleesi looks that good on paper.

Who is your favourite literary character?

Dunbar from Catch 22. He is definitely under-appreciated in literature, and is famous for his attempts to cultivate boredom to increase his life-span. I think we all have a soft spot for Dunbar. He is both realistic and knowledgeable, yet desperately clings on to life. His disposition says much for this thing called ‘the human condition’.

What is the first book you remember reading?

Tales of the Dark Forest – GoodKnyght! So I used to be a bit of a fantasy lover – and you’re completely wrong – fantasy is cool. The story tells of a swineherd named ‘Willum’ who longs to become a knight. It was a sad moment when I realized that my heartfelt childhood fantasy novel was a run down version of Chaucer’s A Knight’s Tale.

What is your all-time favourite book?

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami. It could be described as a post-modern Alice in Wonderland which blurs the boundaries of reality & form in a Kafka-esque fashion. The novel wonders brilliantly from one escapade to the next, invoking a range of literary styles whilst its protagonist lies at the bottom of a dry well.

If you wrote an autobiography, what would be the title?

‘TOLGA’ – Because if I ever become famous enough to have an autobiography, I’d like to ‘troll’ the world.

Kindle vs. the book?

Kindle. Save our trees.

How much is a pint of purple?

The ‘I haven’t circled in a while’ excuse seems to be the growing trend in answers here. Unfortunately I cannot break that trend. I’m sorry. I’m going to take a stab at £1.50?