Warwick Archery's novice team celebrate victory by over 200 points, breaking the university's previous record. photo: Alan Dawson

Dominant archers regain Midlands championship

The University of Warwick Archery Club set a number of new records in the Midlands League Outdoor Championship, regaining the title in the process.

In the team event, Warwick’s experienced and novice teams sealed victory by a remarkable combined score of over 500 points.

There was similar success in the individual event, with a number of medals and personal bests.

The experienced team clinched victory by over 300 points, while the novice team sealed a triumph by over 200 points.

And in a hugely successful day for Warwick Archery, there were individual accolades aplenty to add to the team victories.

Debutant Jake Bellamy secured gold in the barebow category, while Luke Rieman replicated the achievement in the longbow field – breaking an all-universities record in the process.

Warwick’s Jon Ellis finished second behind Rieman, while Richard Henshaw sealed bronze in the barebow category.

In the gentlemen’s experienced category, Tom Hall sealed the bronze medal with a personal best, while Maddie Meatyard secured silver in the female equivalent.

Meanwhile in the novice category James Jeffs won silver in the gentlemen’s event, while Catherine Allkins was rewarded for an accurate display with the bronze medal.