Photo: Warwick RAG

A RAGing success

Warwick Raising and Giving Society (RAG) presents its first ever charity awards ceremony to celebrate the end of a year of fundraising.

On June 18, RAG will be hosting a double event at Leamington-based club Altoria, as the awards ceremony will be followed by an after party.

First will be the charitable society’s inaugural Warwick University Charity Awards Night. The event has been set up in order to recognise the philanthropic efforts that have taken place across University this academic year.

After the year that saw Jailbreak, collections, naked calendars, charity bungee jumps and people living under the poverty line, the night will recognise the fundraising efforts of staff and students from all parts of the university.

Groups, such as sporting societies and welfare organisations, and individuals will be congratulated for the charitable actions that they have completed this year, being offered drinks deals and canapés.

After the awards, the post-exam after party “#StayClassyWarwick” will follow. DJs from Jackers’ Delight and Warwick BASS will move the event into a party.

From going homeless for charity, to ensuring the success of the RAG week deliveries of gnomings, songs and roses, this event marks the end of James Beavis’ current position as RAG president 2012-13.

He told the Boar: “Warwick’s charity culture has changed over the past year. The individual and collective efforts that have contributed to Warwick RAG’s success deserve to be celebrated.”

New president-elect of RAG, Tommy Collings, agreed: “We wanted to build a system to reward people’s efforts, not only things for RAG but any fundraiser on campus. We want to let them know that their charity work hasn’t gone unnoticed, whether it was from shaking a bucket or taking their kit off.”

The tickets are priced at £7 and will provide entry to the awards ceremony and the #StayClassyWarwick after party. Additionally, the tickets will also extend the charitable tone of the night, with £5 from each ticket acting as a donation to the charity of the buyer’s choice.

Tickets can now be purchased from the Students’ Union website and are available only to members of RAG. However, membership to the charitable society is free and can be registered on RAG’s society page.