Photo: wmacphail / Flickr

National student drop-out rates hit a high: The Boar investigates Warwick

Warwick currently ranks at 29 for the number of student drop-outs in the UK.

A Freedom of Information (FOI) request by the Boar revealed a comparatively low number of drop outs from the Maths department at the University when compared to other subjects queried.

The figures, which show the numbers of students who left the University in their first year from the academic year 2009-2010 to 2012-2013 reveals that a total of 0.8 percent of first year students from Maths did not complete the year.

This is compared with 1.6 percent from the Law School, 2.6 percent from French Studies, 1.3 percent from the English department, 2.8 percent from Classics and Ancient History and two percent from Chemistry.

From the data available, French Studies seemed to have an anomalous six percent drop out rate in the academic year 2010-11.

One student of the French department that year told the Boar that she was surprised that the level was so high.

She said: “I really can’t think of any reason why that might be other than for personal reasons.

“The staff, in my opinion, are very good, and the French department on the whole is very supportive.

“I don’t know anyone from that year group, but I know there were a few people who dropped out in my first year just because they didn’t like the course, or found it really difficult.”

Fourth-year English and French student Eleanor Stanford also commented: “There are definite significant differences in management and administrative styles between the English and French departments (the only two I’ve come into contact with), but I am surprised that that was the case.

“I know people sometimes drop out of language degrees – or parts of degrees – because they don’t fancy the year abroad, and because studying a language is challenging in a very different way from other humanities degrees…”

Despite the fact that Maths fared better than other subjects, one Maths first-year student commented on internet forum The Student Room: “I was quite surprised to know that only a few people drop out in this course, even though the work is so tough and still no one gives up.”

Figures from the Guardian suggested that for the academic year 2010-2011 the number of students dropping out of university nationally had fallen steeply, possibly because students are facing tough competition for employment.

The statistics – from 2010-2011 – show 7.4 percent of full-time undergraduates quit their degrees within a year of starting their courses. The previous year, the figure was 8.6 percent.

The figures also revealed a wide discrepancy between universities. At the University of the West of Scotland the drop-out rate was 23 percent, at London Metropolitan it was 16.6 percent and at Cambridge it was just 1.3 percent.

Prof Les Ebdon, an official for the government’s university access promotion, said universities and colleges were working harder to ensure students completed their studies.

“It is encouraging to see that rates of retention are already moving in the right direction,” he said.

However, the Telegraph last year reported that the rate of drop outs was “soaring” in 2011-2012, with the number of students dropping out increasing from 28,210 to 31,755 across Britain – a rise of almost 13 percent.

It was the first time since records began a decade ago that the number had crept above 30,000, fuelled by an increase in the overall student population.

A table compiled by Student Beans last year placed Warwick 29th for universities with the best drop-out rates, with 4.3 percent of all students dropping out.

The University and College Union warned that the drop-out rate would soar in coming years following a decision to increase the cap on student tuition fees to £9,000.

Sally Hunt, the UCU general secretary, said: “Sadly, [the] figures show that too many students, particularly from disadvantaged backgrounds, are still failing to complete their studies.”

A spokesman for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills said: “Although our student completion rates compare well internationally, we want to reduce the number of students who don’t complete their studies.

“We are improving information for prospective students so that they can make more informed choices and we are committed to a better overall student experience.”

• I’m quite unsurprised by this – I blog about student mental health issues and I think the University doesn’t do enough to help to help students when they need it.