Warwick Polo participated in the annual tournament between local sides at the Sports Centre. photo: Daniar Rusniak

Warwick beaten in annual Water Polo tournament

Warwick Swimming and Water Polo club hosted an informal but competitive tournament in the Sports Centre swimming pool last week.

The men’s university team, Handsworth, Coventry City team and an assortment of Warwick graduates, dubbed the “Old Boys”, participated in the annual contest.

The Easter break clearly hindered Warwick against their fitter opponents. They raced into a 2-1 lead in the first half of their opening encounter against Handsworth, but eventually succumbed 6-2 after a disappointing second-half display.

The men’s of training was exposed further in the matches against the Old Boys and Coventry, resulting in emphatic defeats.

Last year’s champions, Coventry, managed to reclaim their title after beating Handsworth in the final.

Despite the defeat, Swimming & Water Polo captain Daniar Rusniak refused to be downbeat.

It was great fun, and it came down to the fact that we didn’t train over Easter I think,” said Daniar.

Our opponents were much better prepared, and they really took advantage of their superior fitness.”

The annual tournament is a strictly friendly affair, and all the teams enjoyed a meal in Kenilworth afterwards.