Photo: George Ryan

Rootes Grid is overwhelming success

rootes grid learning warwick university revision

The new Rootes Grid study space opened yesterday in the Rootes Building and is already proving popular with students.

The new ‘Learning Grid’ style space contributes 300 new study spaces on campus in the form of computer workstations, desks for individual study or seating for working in groups.

The space is open between 8.00am and 10.00pm throughout term three. Group study spaces can be booked in advance online.

IMG_20130521_123653

The space has proved so popular that by 11am on Tuesday 21 May, its second day of opening, all the work places were already filled.

The opening of the new space within the he 45-year-old Rootes Social building was delayed after unmarked pipes which had to be reassessed and an asbestos survey also found some materials contained the toxic substance, meaning construction work had to be re-ordered.

The building used to house Warwick Accommodation services, which have know been relocated to Senate House, adjacent to the Arts Centre.

led_screen_visual

Building work is continuing at the entrance to the new space as the ‘campus big screen’, which was a feature of the graduation ceremonies last summer, is being made a permanent fixture.

The screen is to be mounted above the entrance to the Rootes Building and will be used to display international sporting events like Wimbledon and the Tour de France from mid-June.

Sarah Wall, Digital Signage Project Manager stated: “We hope the screen will be used by the entire campus community and are encouraging people to suggest ideas and events for content that they would like to see featured.”

IMG_20130521_123631

James Entwistle, Education Officer at Warwick Students’ Union said: “The Rootes Learning Grid is a brilliant addition to study space on campus, and already appears popular having filled up within only a few hours of opening.”

When asked whether there is enough study space provided for students on campus, he stated: “We’ll have to see what the balance of study space looks like over the next few weeks, but it is very likely that there will always be pressure for space on campus.

“Although finished later than expected, the Library and the University have taken a positive step to tackling the issue of study space.”

IMG_20130521_123531

Ella Smith, a second-year English Literature student said: “I think it’s a great addition to the Uni. It’s a great new facility in a well chosen location and best of all there’s a plug at every desk.”

She added: “You already have to get in early to get a desk though.”

Charlie Searle, a second-year English Literature student syas he’s impressed by the new space: “The natural lighting and amount of plug sockets available too, makes it trump the Library as somewhere to study.

“The location smack in the middle of campus, is also a bonus; though I was somewhat disappointed there was no ribbon to be cut upon arrival at 8am yesterday.”

Alex Best, a second-year Discrete Mathematics student said: “What’s great is more space on central campus, it’s only been open a couple of days and it still fills up quickly.

“I don’t know about it being better or worse than the library, each has it’s own strong points. The Library has books and the Rootes grid has newer furnishings and gates that don’t take an hour to open!”

Students have responded to the opening on Twitter and have had a mixed reaction:

Let us know what you think using the hashtag:

• Love it! I just want a pod though, those booths are far too popular. But fear not fellow students, I have an early morning game plan!