Random Access Memories

Random Access MemoriesLike trumpets announcing the entry of a gladiator into the Colosseum, so the opening of ‘Give Life Back To Music’ celebrates the return of France’s third best export (second only to baguettes and brie).  It’s been eight years since Human After All, and a lot has changed in that time, yet Daft Punk’s music is as hypnotic as ever, packing the perfect combination of soul, funk and electronic styles.

Random Access Memories is barely a week into its official release, having already been made available to stream on iTunes, and it has already spawned ‘Get Lucky’, which has smashed Spotify’s streaming record and is undoubtedly The Single of Summer 2013.  I was recently informed that my mother hates the song due to its endless radio circulation.  In response informed her that I would be moving out at the earliest opportunity.

‘Giorgio By Moroder’ might as well be a nine-minute CV; the monologue describes combing the sounds of the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s with the synthesiser, the “sound of the future”.  The song then becomes a lesson in funky trance, before morphing into a mini-symphony, and finally a full-blown rock opera.  It takes a special kind of skill to work that kind of magic.

Random Access Memories is an absolute treat for your ears, and well and truly hails the start of the summer…”

Julian Casablancas’ falsetto on ‘Instant Crush’ is a little strained, but that only emphasises the emotional nature of this song: the poor guy’s alone, something that those of us under revision-induced house arrest can understand only too well.  It’s a great little song that starts out as an indie number and transforms into a much looser jive, which sounds like a disco-raver slowed right the way down.

Pharrell Williams struts onto the scene with ‘Lose Yourself To Dance’, the most chilled song of musical emancipation I have ever heard.  It takes me back to Motown days, where all it took was handclapping and a sweet voice to make a tune.  The involvement of Paul Williams on several tracks – including vocals on ‘Touch’ – takes the album to cinematic levels, as the song’s reprise is interrupted by Williams’ sombre cries of “touch / sweet touch / you’ve given me too much to feel.”  In sentiment and construction, it’s a beautiful achievement.

Daft Punk‘Motherboard’ sounds like an impish journey into a mystical forest, with Oberon as my guide, while ‘Fragments Of Time’ is nostalgic, summery, and a little melancholic.  The range of electronic sounds and different harmonies will keep you interested throughout: these French geniuses aren’t letting you get bored.  The pair throw all their electronic tools out of the ram on ‘Contact’, which does become slightly nauseating, but only during that brief moment when you realise that you’ll never be able to do that yourself.  After that instance of vertigo, the closer becomes magical.

Despite my waxing lyrical (ha) about Random Access Memories, it’s not perfect.  The lack of lyrics and domination of electronic bits and bobs can become slightly challenging across 75 minutes, but given the right time and scene (I’d say around 10pm, under a disco ball, with a dirty martini), it’s an absolute treat for your ears.  Daft Punk have made a triumphant return that not only eases you through revision but well and truly hails the start of summer – whatever the weather has to say about it.  Not bad for a couple of robotic Frenchmen.

Similar To: Justice, Stardust

MP3: ‘Giorgio By Moroder’, ‘Touch’, ‘Get Lucky’