An accommodation block in Arthur Vick. Photo: Michael Allen

Police conduct campus search over student welfare concerns

Police and security conducted a search on campus yesterday in response to a student welfare issue.

Campus police officer Mick Parkes confirmed that a joint search between police and the campus security team took place between 4.30pm and 10.30pm last night in response to a “serious concern relating to a student”.

Nine police officers and and around ten security staff were involved in the search, which mainly took place in an Arthur Vick accommodation block.

Some students expressed concern that the police had entered their rooms without their permission.

Jamie Sims, first-year Economics undergraduate, told the Boar: “They had keys to people’s rooms and they went into people’s rooms without their permission… but I’m not sure if they are allowed to do that.”

However, Lucy Jones, first-year English Literature undergraduate, said: “I think it was fine. The police have to do what they have to do.

“It was obviously a very serious situation and potentially [the student] could have been harmed… They were very friendly anyway.”

Mr Parkes said the search was performed in accordance with the law. He cited Article 17 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984 which states that “a constable may enter and search any premises for the purpose… of saving life or limb or preventing serious damage to property.”

He said the police officers and security team knocked first and did not go through anybody’s belongings. They only conducted the search “as a last resort” to find the student.

“Sometimes when people are out or in the kitchen area there’s a possibility that [the student we were looking for] could be sitting in a room,” he said in justification of entering other students’ rooms.

Prior to the search of the accommodation, police and security searched other areas on campus including the Library, Students’ Union and Learning Grid.

There were rumours among Arthur Vick residents, as well as on the Overheard at Warwick Facebook page and Twitter, that the police searches were connected to an immigration issue.

An undergraduate living in Arthur Vick, who preferred to remain anonymous, told the Boar: “I have no idea [what happened], but they checked all of our rooms.

“I haven’t heard [that it was an immigration issue] from the police. I’ve just heard it from people that live here so I’m not sure.”

She added that the police would not tell students anything.

However, Mr Parkes said that these were just rumours that got out of control and that it was definitely not a criminal or immigration issue but rather an issue of student welfare.

Mr Parkes said of the student: “He is safe and well and being looked after.”

Student Support Services declined to comment on the incident.