Past, Present and Future: Edward Norton

Edward Norton is one of today’s most respected and well-known actors. Almost everyone will have seen him at some point. He excels in everything from weighty dramas like Spike Lee’s 25th Hour to cameos in comedies like The Invention of Lying or the popular sitcom, Modern Family, which saw him hilariously playing a fictional member of Spandau Ballet.

I realised recently though that it’s been a while since he’s starred in anything exceptional, with the possible exception of Wes Anderson’s Moonrise Kingdom, featuring instead in superfluous sequels like The Bourne Legacy and mediocre dramas like Stone. His upcoming films look extremely promising and I believe that a long overdue career rejuvenation could come sooner rather than later.

Norton is first and foremost a Nineties actor. In those days, he was part of a small group of actors, which included Kevin Spacey, who turned almost every film into a classic. Norton hit the top spot with a lead role in the cult hit Fight Club as well as Oscar-nominated turns in Primal Fear and American History X.

These performances displayed above all else his incredible range as an actor. Primal Fear featured him playing a teenager with multiple personality disorder convicted of murder. Multiple personality performances can often border on parody but he played it to perfection playing on the film’s ambiguities whilst portraying a character that simultaneously repulsed and drew sympathy from the viewer. Similarly, in American History X his self-righteous neo-Nazi character could have easily become tiresome but he instead offers a grounded performance that constantly retains the viewers’ empathy. Norton soon became one of the most sought-after actors with auteurs like Spike Lee and Ridley Scott wanting to work with him.

For the last ten years or so, Norton’s career has been unable to reach the same heights as the Nineties. Perhaps his most prominent role was a brief stint as Bruce Banner/The Hulk. Rumors of being difficult to work with may have been a factor but I personally pin the blame on the unpredictability of Hollywood.

However, it now looks as though he may be in the process of regaining his position as an auteur’s muse. Norton will next reunite with his Moonrise Kingdom director, Wes Anderson in the extremely promising The Grand Budapest Hotel and will also star in Alejandro González Iñárritu’s Birdman where he will play an egomaniacal and unreasonable actor who drives Michael Keaton’s character crazy.

Norton’s performance in Moonrise Kingdom proved that he could steal the show in an ensemble cast and he could repeat this trick in Anderson’s next film. As for his role in Birdman, it looks like a more dynamic and challenging role than we have seen him do in years.

Apart from his film work you may have seen Norton donning a football shirt last year, along with other American stars including Woody Harrelson and Will Ferrell. It was for the ‘England vs. The Rest of the World’ match as a part of Soccer Aid, a charity event aimed to raise money for UNICEF. Norton is also a serious advocate for environmental causes and renewable energy projects. If you think he couldn’t get better, then you’re wrong. He’s even actively involved in improving the quality of life of low-income communities via a plethora of cost-effective donations for renewable solar panels.

Norton has never been a superstar like Brad Pitt or Leonardo DiCaprio but he’s an actor who is consistently respected and enjoys moments of huge fame. I’m certain the next few films will showcase Norton’s hidden talents.

Enjoy his cameo in the NSFW video below.

(Header Image Source)