The Summer Party will take place on University House field. Photo: Warwick SU

Summer loving: acts from the past?

Students at Warwick have reacted positively to the announcement that current UK number one act Rudimental will be playing the 2013 Summer Party.

After complaints from students about the Summer Party’s line-up in previous years, the reaction to this year’s has been mostly positive.

Main acts for the day long festival this year include Rudimental, Labrinth, and Zane Lowe.

Rudimental, the drum and bass quartet from Hackney, have had two UK number one singles and ‘Waiting All Night’, featuring Ella Eyre, was number one in the UK Singles Chart on the date the Summer Party line-up was announced.

Other performers on the mainstage include King Charles, Mikill Pane, By the Rivers, Coves and Cowboy.

Nick Swain, president of Warwick SU, described the line-up as the “strongest yet”.

Alistair Drennan, a first-year English student, agreed, saying he was very happy with how the Summer Party is shaping up.

“I was really impressed by the fact that we managed to get Labrinth and Rudimental,”

However, he also believed that some of the performers were too familiar to the Warwick scene:
“Zane Lowe already came to the SU during Freshers, and King Charles performed at Kasbah the other month.

“Nana’s Palace does events in Leamington really regularly,” he said.

Second-year Biochemistry student George Kimberley said he had “big love for Nurse Joy”, who will also be taking to the mainstage this year after winning the Students’ Union’s (SU) Battle of the Bands.

Brad Fern, a first-year Maths student, said that he found it “slightly too expensive” and first-year PAIS student James Foster added: “for £39 pounds, you can take a girl out, buy her a few drinks, and potentially have a fun evening.”

Despite some complaints regarding the event’s price, the Summer Party and Graduation Ball joint tickets sold out within the first two days of going on sale and single tickets to this year’s Summer Party, priced at £39, a £1 increase from the previous year, are expected to sell out as well.

Zena Agha, a second-year History and Politics student, suggested that the Summer Party could cater to still more diverse tastes in performance:

“It seems to cater to most of the musical genres but why isn’t there a poetry/spoken word tent? I think it would be brilliant, a small, intimate crowd and some performers.”

Although she added that she thought that the line-up was “better than last year”.

• “for £39 pounds, you can take a girl out, buy her a few drinks, and potentially have a fun evening.”

James Foster sounds like a classy guy indeed