Olympic Stadium: the end of an era?

The news that West Ham United Football Club will take up residence in the Olympic Stadium had me wondering about my own experiences in the venue, and what others thought about the new inhabitants of the stadium.

Thinking there would be either great support or opposition to the move, I was surprised to find that some fellow Games Makers and volunteers who had great Olympic experiences in the Stadium were impartial to the new circumstances.

Sarah Scott, who was a Volunteer Cast member in the Olympic Opening Ceremony, said: “I don’t have a strong opinion about the Olympic Stadium and West Ham. It’s a fantastic space which will always hold very wonderful memories for me and I’m just glad it’s going to be used regularly. Let’s hope they take good care of it!”

I can definitely relate to this. Having won a ticket to attend the rehearsal of the ceremony on one of the nights running up to the big day, and being amazed at the spectacle that unfolded before me, I agree with Sarah’s view that the stadium and park – now called ‘The Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park’ – will always be a place of fantastic memorable events (Super Saturday anyone?!) and experiences, whoever has control of it.

Another Volunteer Cast member who performed in the Paralympic opening ceremony, Natasha Barantseva, has similar views. She said, “I love the stadium and I can’t believe how long it’s been since I was there performing my dance. I shall miss that moment!

“One day the stadium may be taken down, and it would be such a pity, but then again I am moving on to new and exciting opportunities, so I don’t really mind what happens to it”.

For many involved with the sporting event that dominated the summer of 2012, it may forever feel like the amazing holiday that can never be repeated, but always remembered with a smile.

One Games Maker, however, would like to see the Olympic legacy truly upheld. Flora, who was a Bus Systems Team Leader, said: “In terms of the Olympic Stadium being given to West Ham, I’m a bit divided.

“I’m glad it’s being used but in terms of the Olympic legacy it’s not being used for the right reasons in my eyes. I know that the World Athletic Championships are coming in 2017 as is the Rugby World Cup in 2015 (in addition to a supposed bid for the Commonwealth Games in 2022) so it will be used then.

“But I think West Ham being there isn’t the best choice. It could be used as a training ground like Crystal Palace.”

As a Games Maker myself and having also visited the Olympic Stadium to witness the official opening of the venue, the announcement of West Ham’s tenancy was almost a reiteration of the end of the Olympics and Paralympics.

But it also signifies the upholding of the sustainability legacy which played such an important part of the UK‘s original bid to host the global sporting event. It seems that, as long as the stadium and park is well maintained, the memories it has created for the volunteers is enough to keep them going in the future.