FESTIVAL PREVIEW: End Of The Road

**Every year on the first weekend of September, the ridiculously picturesque Larmer Tree Gardens in Dorset becomes a truly special place. Three main stages occupy the open parkland of sloping hills while, hidden throughout the woods, joined by paths illuminated by fairy-lights and adorned with art installations, you’ll find a games area, and a library full of books waiting to be borrowed, where writers hold interviews and talks during the day. Alongside these attractions, you’ll also find secluded piano where at one time, you may find a couple of children bashing at the keys during another a late-night, drunken sing-along in full swing, and at another – if you’re lucky – your favourite band performing a secret, intimate, impromptu performance.**

And it is very likely your favourite band will be at **End Of The Road** festival. The organisers have impeccable and diverse tastes, with a commitment to creating unique and magical moments by avoiding obvious line-ups. In 2011, for instance, I witnessed headliner **Joanna Newsom** enrapture a field full of people at midnight with only her harp and piano as accompaniment, and it was something akin to a religious experience.

This year will see UK festival exclusive appearances from **Warpaint** and **Dinosaur Jr.**, while the headline slots go to Glasgow’s greatest **Belle & Sebastian**, Icelandic post-rock giants **Sigur Rós** and art-rock royalty **David Byrne & St. Vincent**. The latter will be performing songs from their excellent collaborative album _Love This Giant_, as well as from their own separate, extensive (and brilliant) back-catalogues.

There are a whole load of superb acts already announced (**Frightened Rabbit**! **Daughter**! **Jens Lekman**!) and more will follow, but I’d recommend **End Of The Road** even if you’re not familiar with many of the acts. As well as a great place to discover new music, the festival features a wide range of activities such as art, writing and circus skills workshops, and the comedy area is really top notch. It’s also important to note that the food is incredible (they are very keen on gourmet/organic/free range etc. etc., but at a reasonable price), and there’s a big parked bus where you can get this amazing warm, spiced cider, which everyone seems to drink all of the time.

If that’s not enough to sell it to you, peacocks run around. You don’t get peacocks at **Glastonbury**. The place is an utter paradise, combining the intimacy and quirk of a small festival with the variety and bands of a bigger event. And did I mention **Belle & Sebastian**?!