Engineering students build electric vehicle to defend championship title

A team of eight Warwick Engineering students have designed and built an electric-powered vehicle to improve on last year’s winning kart at the 2013 Electric Vehicle Grand Prix (EVGP).

In hopes to defend their championship title at the EVGP, the team have reduced the weight of their kart by 20%.

The team of Engineering students includes Evangelos Contoleon, Jenny Chan, Sean Oliver, Matthew Duckhouse, Luke Lynch, Alex Kullmann, Sam Tracy and Mauricio Cavalieri Carreiro.

Team supervisor, Dr. James Meredith at Warwick Manufacturing Group (WMG), explained the progress and efforts of the team: “After the winning performance of the Warwick team at the 2012 competition in the USA we knew that our kart was a good platform. So for this year we have concentrated on powertrain efficiency and removing weight.

“The team has spent significant time in the vehicle energy facility at WMG optimising and matching each of the battery cells to increase performance.

“Furthermore, they have developed a new motor control strategy which will enhance power output whilst using less energy. On the chassis, weight savings have been found from use of titanium and magnesium alloys as well as advanced composite materials.”

Project Leader Evangelos Contoleon said: “Electric vehicles are going to be the future and it’s an important project for students to be working on. We want to be successful in the competition and so far we’ve come fourth and first, with the competition only being two years old.”

Race driver Luke Lynch also commented: “Considering last year’s team won, I am expecting us to do the same.

“As the driver, I have a lot of weight on my shoulders. We can improve the kart all we like but if I make a mistake it is all over. I have done a few hours in the kart now though, and the kit feels good. I’m hoping to bring the trophy home.”

The competition will take place in the United States and consists of two races: the first at the Purdue University track on 27 April 2013 and the second at the Indy Motor Sports track on 12 May 2013.

The team are also assessed on their efforts to educate their community about electrical engineering and have been involved with the Imagineering Fair and Nissan Formula Student Event where they have publicly showcased their electric-powered vehicle.

The team will be launching a UK-based EVGP competition later this year with the race being held at the Sustainable Moto Expo 2013 from the 28-29 September. The competition will involve universities from the UK and the USA.

Interested sponsors for the team should email project leader and sponsorship manager Evangelos Contoleon at e.e.contoleon@warwick.ac.uk.