Sammy Daubney and William Laye at the run. Photo: Axel Finke

Warwick students run half-marathon for charity

Fourth-year Maths and Physics undergraduate Andy Robinson ran the Warwick Castle half-marathon to raise money for the British Heart Foundation (BHF).

At the time of writing, he had raised £216.50 for the charity and achieved a chip time of 1:25:16, which was ranked 39th out of 2015 people.

It was the first time running the half marathon for Andy and his friend Sammy Daubney. They were joined and supported by three other friends – William Laye, Axel Finke and Tom Hall – who had attempted the half-marathon before. The group are all part of Warwick Athletics.

William, who was dressed in a cardboard knight costume carrying a sword and shield for the event, has been running for two years.

Andy, however, began training in Term 1 with the Athletics team for the event which took place on Sunday 17 March.

On his fundraising page, Andy said: “I’ve been at Warwick Uni for four years and still haven’t been to the castle.

“This is much further than I’ve ever run before, so it’ll be a huge challenge getting fit in time. It’ll be an even bigger challenge getting up and getting there in time for the 9am start!

“The BHF do some amazing work through pioneering research, vital prevention activity and ensuring quality care and support for everyone living with heart disease.”

After the event, Andy told the Boar: “The first big challenge was the 9am start time. There was an excellent atmosphere, with everyone chatting to each other.

“It was very challenging, but despite the rain and snow, it was really enjoyable.”

The group’s fundraising pages are still open for donations here and here.