Scientists discover how to predict radiotherapy side-effects

Scientists at the University of Warwick believe that they have found a way of predicting the cancer patients who are more likely to suffer side-effects from radiotherapy.

When under the influence of radiotherapy, many patients suffer with intestinal problems. However, researchers at Warwick Medical School (WMS) found in a pilot scheme a possible way of working out which patients will be affected.

They have found that measuring ‘microflora’, or microscopic plants, in the gut could predict those who would suffer toxic side effects.

Scientists analysed stool samples and then tested for the chemicals produced by the microflora. This would allow doctors to carefully target, and possibly look at different forms of treatment for those who are at higher risk.

The research scheme by scientists at the University only covers pelvic radiotherapy but could now lead to wider research into whether doctors could use the technology to examine risks before prescribing the treatment to patients.

Dr. James Covington from Warwick School of Engineering told the Coventry Telegraph: “This technology offers considerable opportunities for the future.

“We foresee a time when such technology will become as routine a diagnostic test as checking blood pressure is today.”

Scientists believe that this technology may help prevent uncertainty and disagreement with undergoing radiotherapy for cancer.

This problem was clearly demonstrated in the case of Sally Roberts, a mother from Devon, who did not want her son to have radiotherapy treatment on a brain tumour because she believed it may cause him harm. She wished to look for different treatments, however, a court decided that Neon should undergo the treatment anyway.

Warwick School of Engineering and WMS have previously worked together using similar technology to research quicker diagnosis for stomach and intestine diseases.