Photo: Nick Swain

Student accuses president of disrespect

Students’ Union president Nick Swain has been accused of using offensive language towards a Warwick student.

Joshua Funnell told the Boar that he has lodged an official complaint with the Students’ Union regarding alleged inappropriate language used by SU president Nick Swain, which he denies.

Mr Funnell had allegedly been asking the SU for support in lobbying Warwick Sport after students were given £10 on their Eating at Warwick cards as compensation for the on campus gym’s closure.

He argued that this form of compensation was unfair because students had no choice but to spend it at the University and could not spend it on a different gym membership.

Mr Funnell also was unhappy with the fact that Warwick Sport had not given students warning of the renovation when they signed up for a membership at the gym.

In an appeal to the sabbatical team on the Warwick Sport Facebook page Mr Funnell said: “I always hear how nobody has any power and how it’s out of their hands, [but it] would be lovely to see someone take a stance and communicate it to students, even if the outcome is less than ideal.”

Upon approaching the SU president about an unrelated matter, Mr Funnell claims that Mr Swain changed the topic of conversation, asking Mr Funnell what he wanted him to do about the gym situation.

Mr Funnell claims to have politely told Mr Swain that he wanted him to show leadership and fight for the interests of students.

He then claims to have been told: “Yeah, I could do that, or I could just tell you to fuck off and that I don’t give a fuck,” before Mr Swain walked away.

In response to the issue, Mr Swain replied: “I didn’t swear at him. I’ve been in meetings today about the gym and I commented on how I was doing my job, rather than ‘not giving a fuck’.

“He accused me of not caring about the gym issues, despite the fact Bam and I have been discussing it with the University.”

Mr Funnell has subsequently made a complaint against Mr Swain arguing that the alleged treatment was unacceptable and saying that he wanted the matter to be pursued through the necessary channels.

The SU was unavailable for comment at the time of publication.