Pint of Purple: Jeff Backhaus

jeff bWhat book are you reading at the moment?

I always have at least a few going at once because the more I like a book the more I put it down—not just to prolong the experience but to let the ideas and characters sink in till they feel like they’re my own memories. At the moment it’s László Krasznahorkai’s Satantango, Nicholas de Monchaux’s Spacesuit, Jonathan Haidt’s The Righteous Mind, and Chico Buarque’s Spilt Milk.

Who is your favourite literary character?

This answer changes every few years or so, but right now I’d say it’s the doctor’s wife from Saramago’s Blindness.

What is the first book you remember reading?

Tikki Tikki Tembo. If that unfortunate far-off day comes when my mind fails and fades, I won’t be at all surprised if the boy’s 21-syllable name ends up being one of my last remaining memories.

What is your all-time favourite book?

Impossible to answer, sorry, how could I ever choose?

If you wrote an autobiography, what would be the title?

Probably something along the lines of Hoping for Reincarnation, because that’s the only way I’ll have enough time to get it all done.

Kindle vs. Book?

Book, book, and book, book by far. Though my Kindle does have its own kind of satisfying usefulness. And actually, I really like straddling the digital and analog worlds. I use both a MacBook and an old Smith-Corona that’s been refurbished and dipped in chrome. I listen to vinyl and digital. I use a Leica film camera but have the film scanned into jpegs. It’s fun to find the right mix of old and new.

How much is a pint of purple?

I’m all too aware of soju prices, but I’ve no idea about a pint of purple so I’ll just say it’s twenty quid, but only because I like the euphony of the words “twenty quid,” not because I’m at all familiar with what a quid is or what twenty of them might look like.

Jeff Backhaus’ debut novel Hikikomori and the Rental Sister is available to buy or download on Kindle now.