Man suffers injuries when trapped on campus

A man has suffered serious injuries after being trapped on campus between a waste compactor and a wall for nearly an hour. 

The man, who is a member of the University’s Estates team and is believed to be in his thirties, was found just outside the Warwick Arts Centre after 10.30am on Sunday 17 February.

West Midlands Ambulance Service was called onto Campus where the man was seriously injured.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokeswoman told the Coventry Telegraph: “When crews arrived, they found a man, believed to be in his thirties, who had become pinned against a wall by the door of a waste compactor.

“The man sustained serious leg and ankle injuries. Crews and the medic administered pain relief and stabilised his condition while working closely with the fire service to carefully extricate him.

“After around 45 minutes of being trapped, the man was released and his injuries immobilised with a vacuum splint.”

The man was taken by ambulance to University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire.

Peter Dunn, a spokesman for the University, said: “The machine has been taken out of service while our health and safety team investigate what happened. They have not yet concluded their investigations.”

The University’s Health and Safety department have started a webpage on compactor management guidance. However, it is as yet unclear what steps the Health and Safety department will be taking in response to the incident.