London Fashion Week: the Round-Up

London Fashion Week has always been the fresh and exciting place for designers to be ‘discovered’, along with the classic British fashion houses, at the illustrious and picturesque Somerset House. But Jess Cartner-Morley at the Guardian is worried that LFW is becoming too much the main event, with tuxedos, Bentleys and red carpets taking precedence over work experience kids in cheap heels. That being said, there was many a ‘one-to-watch’, and both featured and high street brands have been fluttering around the catwalk for a few years now. Topshop Unique has become one of the week’s highlights, this year featuring full, flared skirts, and Whistles also had a show.

Most notably in London was Rihanna’s collection for River Island (launched in store March 5th) sporting sexy leotards, crop-tops and knee-high leather boots. Canary and neon yellow are back in full force (pick up a neon satchel if you just want a splash of colour). Monochrome featured here too, a key look this season. Nearly every model was attired in a mono-colour outfit, which seemed a dull concept for a collection when compared with the vitality of Tom Ford and the other big names at LFW. I found the whole thing very much less than inspiring: not quite sport-luxe, not quite casual-cool. Fashion Editors walked out, declaring the celeb-designer was drawing attention away from artistic new talent: I am inclined to agree. Tom Ford, on the other hand, was bringing sexy back with a plethora of prints, garish florals with black lace and brightly coloured furs.

Vibrant reds splattered many a runway, with ketchup red tailoring at Preen, paired with black and crisp white borders, and seductive red lace on a black background at Clements Ribeiro. Antonio Baradi made the red lip so elegant with slicked-back hair and black tunic dresses. Jonathan Saunders epitomised one of the new season colours, a saturated olive green. Oxblood and burgundy are still fashionista colours in their own right, with Christopher Kane featuring burgundy alongside midnight blue velvet. Burberry’s translucent oxblood macs were only narrowly trumped by the sequinned tracksuit worn by Jourdan Dunn at Topshop Unique as the week’s stand-out piece.

After the Burberry show, everyone was talking about the cutesy heart motif. Twitter was convinced it was an influence of the twitter heart

‘Model of the Week’ must be Cara Delevingne, walking the catwalk five times in three days. The tabloids commented on her apparently tired appearance arriving at shows. In fact she just looked natural, and modelled flawlessly throughout the week. The outfit she wore at Matthew Williamson – an oversized, long mint knit jumper paired with a flouncy pleated skirt made of mustard-coloured chiffon – was particularly wearable.

Has LFW become too glam? Perhaps the experience itself has, which I can’t pass comment on, but the shows themselves are an entirely different story. Edgy, sophisticated style just oozes off the catwalk and the bold new looks of London’s brightest designers will be an inspiration for fashionistas all across the globe.