Increased scholarships for Indian students

**The University of Warwick has increased the number of scholarships on offer to Indian students for taught Masters degrees.**

The vice chancellor, Professor Nigel Thrift, announced the enhanced range of scholarships during a visit to India, where he accompanied prime minister David Cameron and a delegation of British business and education leaders.

Warwick has announced the scholarships across a range of departments, including Law, Politics and International Studies and WMG (Warwick Manufacturing Group), which works closely with industry partners such as Tata and Jaguar Land Rover.

Warwick Business School, the Department of Economics and the School of Life Sciences are also offering scholarships.

The University has deep ties with India through its student population and its research collaborations. In fact, despite concerns about the number of Indian students studying at UK universities, Warwick continues to see increased figures.

International press officer for the University, Anna Blackaby, said: “The University of Warwick has seen an increase in Indian undergraduate students over the past year, up 7 per cent.”

The announcement also comes only a matter of weeks after the University invested an additional £700,000 in its Chancellor’s Scholarships for postgraduate research students and increased the duration of the scholarships to 3.5 years.

Professor Nigel Thrift said: “It gives me great pleasure to announce this package of scholarships dedicated to Indian students. Warwick has long been a globally-connected University, but it has particularly nurtured its close ties with India.

“Indian students contribute greatly to the life of the University, and through our partnerships with companies like Jaguar Land Rover and Tata we are actively engaging with Indian research talent.

“These scholarships will enable us to build on this and to allow even more outstanding Indian students to gain access to a world-class education at one of the UK’s leading universities.”

Shrivali Agarwal, a third-year Morse student from Delhi, approved of the increase in scholarships, but believed that it may be more beneficial to offer undergraduate scholarships as well:

“Students who usually apply for undergraduate studies to the UK come from decently well-off families (having to be able to afford 3 years’ worth of international fees).

“I know at least 10 students from back home who wanted to come to university to do masters but couldn’t financially afford it- they were academically excellent students. So definitely something good would come out for them.”