Bioshock Infinite: would you kindly get excited?

In 2007, a new heavy hitter in the action game market arrived and _BioShock_ was born. The first game was welcomed with huge praise and critical acclaim, described by IGN as “a beacon. It’s one of those monumental experiences you’ll never forget, and the benchmark against which games for years to come will, and indeed must, be measured.” Now, six years on, its cult following are preparing once again to delve into the stunning and terrifying universe that developers Irrational Games have created. A game that is utterly compelling, often unnerving, but never unsatisfying, we look forward to next month and the release of the third instalment of the franchise, _BioShock Infinite_.

Never content with merely continuing what had come before, developers Irrational Games have cast aside Rapture, the dystopian underwater world of the original game and its sequel, and have instead gone to the opposite end of the spectrum, the sky, as inspiration for Columbia, the setting of _Infinite_. Re-writing American history, _BioShock_ makes Columbia into a city suspended in the air and placed there by President McKindley at the turn of the 20th Century. Set in 1912, our protagonist, Booker DeWitt finds himself thrown head first into a world that is both relatable and completely abstract at the same time, a mutation of America where two warring factions, The Founders and the Vox Populi vie for control.

On the face of it, we are presented with a very simple and to be honest, pretty uninspiring task; to go to Columbia and rescue a girl called Eliazbeth, who has been held captive there for the last twelve years: all very standard action game fare. The beauty of _BioShock_ however, throughout the series, and the thing that pushes it far beyond the mass of average first person shooter games, is the depth of setting. Columbia looks to be just as immersive as Rapture was, if not more so. It is a living, breathing entity, a fully formed society within which the narrative can unfold.

_BioShock_ has always been a series that isn’t afraid to push boundaries and challenge expectations and Infinite is no different. While it may have a new location, it is still very much the _BioShock_ that fans know and love. Playing with ideas of history, philosophy, sociology, religion and time itself, it is so much more than a normal game; it is a visceral experience that will make gamers think, question and enjoy in equal measure. There are no guarantees that it will be an easy journey, nor at times a particularly pleasant one, but everything that has seen released so far points towards it being a completely unforgettable experience. It is a game “where the artist would not fear the censor; where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality; where the great would not be constrained by the small,” to quote Andrew Ryan, villain of the first _BioShock_ game. With release just about a month away, you should be very, very excited indeed. The Vox Populi has spoken.