Larking about with Lyons

**So one-liners seem to have made a massive comeback in recent years with the help of comedians such as Tim Vine and Milton Jones. You yourself are famous for them- what is it about one-liners that you enjoy?**

I really do enjoy them, although I only include a few in my show. What I like is that they’re just good, old fashioned ‘proper jokes’ – the more you have of them the funnier it becomes. Comedians like Tim build entire sets out of them, which I really admire.

**Give me your favourite one-liner.**

It’s a beautiful Wind in the Willows joke from Gary Delaney: “Last night I had to get Toad home… because Ratty and Moley were too drunk”.

**You’ve worked with Gary and quite a few other big names on shows such as Mock the Week and Michael McIntyre’s Comedy Roadshow. Do you prefer the improvisational style of TV panel shows, touring, or festivals like the fringe?**

Definitely working in front of a live audience. I did a gig the other day up in Lincolnshire and it was the most beautiful tiny little basement club: little stage, brick walls, packed out. It was such a lovely environment. It’s those little gems that are the best types of gigs to do.

**So definitely something more intimate… does that mean an arena tour isn’t going to be on the cards any time soon? **

It would be a very empty arena! It would basically be me, a mad old lady, shouting in a hangar. I really don’t think comedy is meant for arenas. When you’re in a place like that all you can hear is the bloke next to you unwrapping his sweets. To me it’s all about the comic playing off the audience and using their flow- in that sort of space I just don’t know how it works… I suppose it works by forgetting all of that and just thinking “Kerching!”… I suppose I could put the acoustics aside whilst I counted my 50,000 ticket sales.

**In mind of more intimate settings such as the Edinburgh Fringe, you won an award a few years ago for a single joke- something not many comedians can boast! How did that come about? **

The award was TV channel Dave’s “best joke of the fringe”, and it was the first year they’d run it. I don’t think any of us even knew it was happening. I was like “oh right, great, I had no idea this was going on!” Nice though, little something for the mantelpiece. The thing with Edinburgh is that it’s such a tough one, such hard work. To have any day where you’re not crying is a bonus, so that was really special.

**So a cheeky Wikipedia search tells me you studied psychology at York University back in the nineties and recently appeared on a celebrity edition of University Challenge. What kind of student were you? Was it pizza and lie-ins all round? **

Oh god, I was a terrible student. I very very rarely attended lectures. I think I got carried away with the stuff outside academics… I spent a lot of time just joining really weird societies. I joined a potholing club… I also played Octopush for a while. I don’t even think that exists any more as a sport.

**Oh no, Warwick has a thriving Octopush scene… **

It’s strangely violent for an underwater sport! I really didn’t spend that much time studying at university so it was hilarious to find myself on ‘University Challenge’ of all things, having only just managed a 2:2 in Psychology. The only reason I pulled that off is because my friend said to me, “you have to sit in the middle and make sure every time they ask a question you do what extras do in films and mumble so that it makes it look like you know what you’re doing” And it worked! I got a starter for 10, so I can die happy.

**That’s the dream. So if you weren’t creating fabulous comedy what would you be doing? **

Am I allowed to have a dream job?

**Yeah, go for it! **

My dream job would be either a ski instructor or a forest ranger. If I had to go with the skills I currently have, I’d probably be… largely unemployed.

**Do you not think you could hack it as a forest ranger? **

Well I own a waterproof coat, so that’s half the battle.

**I notice from your shows you’ve got an amazing tattoo. When did you get that done? Does it have a particular meaning? **

It’s one huge one that stretches over the top of my arm and round to my back. I got it done ten years ago when I was about thirty. To be honest it was childish rebellion! I just went out and thought, sod it! I’m going to get a massive tattoo. They seem to be very popular though, we’ll be a generation of 80-year-olds with skin like a heavily patterned carpet.

**I notice you’re an avid tweeter. A lot of (especially female) comedians have come forward recently and reported the amount of abuse they receive through social media. Have you ever had any negative experiences? **

Oh, yes. I know when ‘Mock the Week’ has been on without even looking at listings because I log on to Twitter and there’s this flurry of Trolls. I use social media but appreciate the ability to switch it all off. Years ago if someone hated you they’d have to get themselves worked up to the point of walking to a desk and writing a letter. Now it’s so easy and worryingly, anonymous. I don’t worry for people like myself, I worry for kids at school.

**So ‘Pop-up Comic’ is the title of your new tour. What can we expect when you come to Warwick in a few weeks? **

I’m quite a physical performer so there’s going to be a lot of larking about! I cover fairly broad topics- from gay bishops to dog prams, with everything in between. I think I’ll leave you with that one!

**Thanks Zoe, looking forward to seeing the show! **

No problem. Thanks!