Warwick students shake up the piazza

Hundreds of Warwick students took to the piazza today to perform a large-scale version of the ‘Harlem Shake’.

Many of the students were dressed up in interesting outfits, varying from Buzz Lightyear and Pikachu, to a man who bravely ventured outside wearing nothing but a mankini.

Pete Le Voi and Gareth Knoll, both first-year medical school students, said: “It was a life changing experience. We’ve really found ourselves; we feel like we’ve become men. We’re so glad we can make it to Notting Hill this year…”

The large turnout for the event allowed for some impressive video footage, especially with the props students took along with them.

Dolphins, plastic bananas and saucepans were among the more interesting objects in the event, and some students even attempted ‘milking’, the new student phenomenon which has spread across campus and the rest of the UK recently.

Nick Swain, president of the Students’ Union, told the Boar: “I thought it was brilliant. It’s great that everyone at Warwick is coming together and having a really good time – the only concern is the amount of milk on the piazza.

“The word I would use to describe it is ‘phenomenal’!”

The event was organised by the Unibubble website, which encourages students to find future housemates, sell unwanted items such as furniture and books, and look for jobs.

The site was created by three Warwick students, who describe it as a marketplace “for Warwick students, by Warwick students”.

David Linderman, Accounting and Finance undergraduate and one of the organisers of Unibubble commented on the event: “It was absolutely awesome. There were some crazy costumes and everyone was having a good time.”

Mick Parkes, campus police officer, said he thought the event had been running really smoothly and despite the large number of people, caused no problems.

“The main thing is that there’s no alcohol involved,” he commented.