Unfair fares derailing students

**We all knew that being a student was never going to be cheap. On top of rent and food, the cost of travelling home is one we all have to pay, but there is a limit to what students can reasonably afford. So you can imagine my shock at discovering that from now on it will cost me more than £100 to get to my hometown of Newcastle and back. Yes, this is the price of an economy class advance ticket with a railcard.**

The recent rise in rail fares is estimated to be around 3.9%, and this time it’s really starting to bite. We have ignored annual rises in our train fares for so long that they have become unaffordable for students and, indeed, most ordinary people. When are we going to start seriously scrutinising and challenging these rail companies driven by greed and the desire for profit?

It just takes one look at the figures to realise how ridiculous train fares are. They have risen by an average of 50% in the past decade and are above the standard rate of inflation. The days when I could go back up North for £30 or £50 are gone. Even students who live in areas close to campus will not be immune from sudden ticket price increases if train companies continue to get their way.

Whenever concerns about the skyrocketing prices are raised, they are quickly brushed aside by the government and the rail companies, and we are told that the increases are fair, and actually of great benefit to passengers. We are told they are designed to improve the quality of the services and create the capacity for extra passengers. However, I don’t think anyone would say that there have been vast improvements in this area. Overcrowding in trains is still a common sight.

And still, British rail fares are officially the most expensive in Europe. Germany and Italy, amongst many, both have good value government-run railways. A simple search shows how it costs £79 to get from Stafford to London during the morning rush hour, a distance of around 133 miles. Yet, it costs €49 to get from Turin to Rome, and they are more than 410 miles apart!
Several coursemates have already started talking about the cheap train-travel we intend to take advantage of during our year abroad. Why can’t our fares be like this? Our infrastructure is not significantly weaker than that in Italy, nor is our public funding much lower. We shouldn’t be fooled by what the government and the rail companies tell us.

{{ quote we should not tolerate a system which is negatively affecting ordinary people, and which has failed in its own purpose }}

So what are the solutions to high fares? To many the answer is plain and simple, re-nationalisation. Its opponents say that it would be a financially demanding task, which may be true, especially during the current recession.

But we shouldn’t tolerate a system which is negatively affecting ordinary people, and which has failed in its own purpose. ‘Competition’ has not led to an overall improvement of quality, efficiency or lower prices.

A regulatory body would probably be another unnecessary cost. The government itself has not stopped train companies from overcharging and profiteering so it is likely that a quango would also be inefficient in putting pressure on companies. The failed bidding process for the West Coast Mainline last summer which cost the British taxpayer millions is an example of the problems which can arise through trying to organise railways run by private operators.

Ultimately, travelling should not be a financial strain for students. Going home for Christmas and Easter is a basic necessity. But why should visiting friends or going to events in different parts of the country have to be a luxury?

We need to start challenging the way our railways are being run and press for the government to restructure for the benefit of everyone. Companies have had almost 20 years to make their fares better value and the complete opposite has happened.

In the meantime, I’m standing up to the ridiculous fares and giving Megabus a chance. I’m sure the seven hours will pass very quickly…