Twins graduate with Physics PhDs

**Identical twins Mark and Leigh Whitehead have just graduated with PhDs in the area of particle Physics.**

Now aged 26, the twins graduated with first class degrees in MPhys back in 2008, while a ceremony at the Warwick Arts Centre marked the completion of their PhDs.

Leigh has moved to University College London, and is now working on an experiment studying neutrinos, a type of sub-atomic particle, with company Fermilab in the United States.

Mark has stayed on at Warwick, and is now conducting post-doctoral research into an experiment that will take place in Geneva, at the Large Hadron Collider with CERN.

Although the search for the Higgs-Boson particle is perhaps the endeavour for which the Large Hadron Collider is most famous for, Mark will be looking into another particle known as the B-meson.

Both are on the path to becoming very accomplished physicists. But Leigh commented
that there is no sense of sibling rivalry between the pair: “We’re not that competitive to be
honest – we always helped each other out in our studies and revision during our time at
Warwick.”

He added: “Although we are working on different experiments nowadays, we are still in touch by phone or e-mail pretty much every day.”