Damage done in the men’s toilets. Photo: Anonymous

Rowing Ball criticised over damage

Worries have arisen over the behaviour of Warwick students at their annual sports and society balls.

This common concern has come to light again after the recent Rowing Club Winter Ball in the Leamington Pump Rooms.

The men’s toilets in particular, which are owned by the council, were damaged by students as toilet seats were pulled off, part of the ceiling was smashed and the changing table was broken.

Staff at the venue also commented on the “disgusting” vomit across the floor. The men’s toilets were subsequently closed, but the disabled toilets were then left in a similar condition.

A supervisor at the venue told the Boar: “The staff worked hard to give the best function possible but the behaviour of the Rowing Society on Saturday night was the worst I have ever had to deal with.

“It was disrespectful to the staff and borderline criminal damage was made to the venue itself.”

Staff working at the event also reported seeing attendees entering the store room and taking bottles of wine without paying for them, as well as attempting to help themselves at the bar when staff were busy serving.

Two attendees were also found fighting in the employee changing rooms and had to be removed from the premises.

However, several rowers who were in attendance have since claimed that it was only the behaviour of the minority which let the rest of the team down.

Lauren Rutter, president of the Rowing Club, explained: “The Warwick Rowing Annual Ball is a chance for current members to meet the alumni who made the club the success that it is now.

“The club has a heavy racing timetable during terms two and three and this was a final opportunity to enjoy a night out before the racing season commenced.”

With regards to the damage and misbehavior, Ms Rutter said: “A small number of individuals at the Ball, most of whom are no longer current members, did not act in a manner that we expect or condone as a club.”

“For this reason, the matter is currently being resolved internally. Overall, however, it was an extremely successful event, enjoyed by all and we hope that we are able to rebuild our relationship with the Pump Rooms in order to use The venue in the future.”