Editors’ Letter: Freshers’ isn’t the end

_**“Fresher, eh? Oh, man. I envy you guys…” _

Do either of the above comments sound familiar? You’re at a social or a club somewhere, talking to a student who is a year (or two) your senior. Amid the (likely slurred) formalities, (s)he asks you what year you’re in, and the second you reply “I’m a fresher”, you notice a flash of jealousy in their eyes.**

Thus begins an onslaught of cautionary tales of life beyond first year, based around whopping housing bills, miserable commuting, and mammoth increases in workload. No wonder leaving the bubble and transcending Fresherdom can seem so daunting, and now that we’ve passed the halfway point for the current academic year, nervousness has naturally started to bloom.

However, after properly evaluating the issues which supposedly dominate future years at university, it’s hard to see what all the fuss is about. In truth, the stigma so commonly attached to life after first-year seems rather unfounded.

First-year life has taken on a near-mythical status in university psyche, and in fairness, it’s probably the loosest period. A lot of your assignments don’t ultimately count, there is a wealth of things to do right on your doorstep, and arriving on time for morning lectures whilst hungover isn’t a problem.

But does that mean that off-campus living is any worse by comparison? Hell no, it’s awesome: there are new rewards to be reaped. You get a wider choice of locales in which to hang out of an evening, and a closer proximity to clubs means no more dodgy taxi fares. Map out a new community with your friends wherever you end up stationed, and enjoy the change in pace and scenery.

Sure, the bus journeys can sometimes be an unwanted pain in the neck, and bagging a decent spot in the library can be a tougher task for non-campus dwellers, but are these minute complaints really going to spoil your overall enjoyment of university? Not if you’ve got your head screwed on.

And as for the alleged increases in workload, I realise that I can’t speak for every student, but as much as you’ll have to take on, it’s not going to steamroll your social life. And besides, if you remember why you applied for university in the first place, an escalation of deadlines shouldn’t be enough to shake you down.

So, do live up Fresherdom while you can: enjoy the convenience, the community and the constant clubbing. Have fun and enjoy the relative freedom and security of life in the bubble. But remember, it’s really only one-third of the fun.