The wonderful world of work experience

**Nicole Davies:** As you begin the perilous journey toward an actual career outside the bubble of University the words work experience will reverberate and haunt you for the length of your degree. It has become an imperative, vital component of a worthy CV and thus increasingly hard to achieve.

After sending out over 20 emails to various film production companies, magazines, newspapers and other media outlets back in February, with precious little in the way of reply, I finally got an opportunity. Total Film magazine had a cancellation for a two-week placement in August.

When I first agreed I instinctively believed that this would mainly consist of shadowing a few employees and making their tea upon request. However my briefing pack (mainly legal forms) delineated that I would be joining the editorial team in producing content for the up and coming issue. I even got my own desk, computer and login, along with a pass to enter the office just off Baker Street, I felt very much (albeit pretend) the metropolitan professional.

The first introductions are always nervy and asking for things to do repeatedly can be intimidating. When the entirety of the office trekked off for the Tuesday morning meeting and left me at my computer I have to admit I felt like a spare part. Luckily the Total Film team were a friendly bunch and I soon found myself living the dream. I started off by doing research for a ‘winter preview’, getting invited to a free preview screening of Anna Karenina, writing transcriptions for interviews (who can complain at having to listen to the charming Irish lilt of Colin Farrell as a day’s work?) and eventually writing content that would be published both online and in an actual issue.

They were baby steps of course in the grand scheme of things, but to have my work read and praised by Editors of an international magazine was a huge confidence boost. My advice if you’re lucky enough to get your foot in the door is to not be afraid. Ask questions (how they got their jobs, what do they enjoy/dislike most?), display genuine interest and knowledge (if you have it of course, don’t bullshit) and the three P’s…Be polite, be punctual and persevere.

**Jamie Golunski:** Over the past summer, I had the privilege of completing work experience with Fallon London, one of the UK’s leading (and edgiest) advertising agencies. Undertaking work experience or an internship provides invaluable experience in preparing you for the daunting, yet inescapable, post-graduation world of work, not to mention the fact that it looks great on your CV. Additionally, it stands you in good stead for applying for further work experience or potentially even a graduate job with the company.

My work experience with Fallon, based just a short walk from Oxford Circus, was incredibly enjoyable. I was involved with many tasks throughout the two weeks that I worked there, including conducting research for upcoming projects, producing presentations and consumer reports, and towards the end of the first week, attending a photo shoot in east London for one of the company’s upcoming campaigns.

When it comes to applying for work experience, you’re likely to be at an advantage if you know someone working within the firm, where you could potentially request that they put in a good word for you wherever possible. However, if this is not feasible, rely on your resoundingly strong application to put you at an advantage. Make sure that your application, including your CV and covering letter, explains just how strongly you want the opportunity. Likewise, ensure that your CV contains details of any past work experience, as this will increase your appeal to your potential employer.

If you’re fortunate enough to gain work experience or an internship with the chosen company, then ensure that your behaviour in the workplace is upstanding – get involved with additional tasks wherever possible, be friendly and approachable, and make sure that you engage in conversation with other members of staff – behaviour such as this will make you memorable and ensure that you are not remembered as just another intern.