One student will have the opportunity to visit Tokyo. Photo: Holly Grand

Warwick in Tokyo student exchange

The University of Warwick has opened applications for undergraduates in their second year to apply for the opportunity of a year long exchange visit to the University of Tokyo.

As part of the Abroad in Komaba (AIKOM) exchange programme, Warwick is the only university in the UK to have been asked to join the scheme.

The programme offers students the chance to immerse themselves in Japanese culture whilst living and studying there.

The University of Tokyo is one of Japan’s most prestigious educational institutions and the AIKOM scheme is a product of the Japanese government’s internationalisation policies.

Only one student will be chosen for the programme, as the University of Tokyo provides places for a single student from each of the 30 countries involved in AIKOM, resulting in a variety of different cultures being represented.

Holly Grand, who is in her final year at Warwick studying Sociology, was chosen to take part in the scheme in October 2011. She said: “AIKOM is unique firstly because of the funding it provides to students; secondly it is an amazing one-off opportunity to experience a completely different culture.

“It’s a very close, friendly environment as you get to know the other exchange students and your personal tutor really well. People get involved in so many activities from modelling to even joining the orchestra – I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t apply, it was such an amazing experience.”

Warwick made this agreement with Japan over 10 years ago when it developed a strong relationship with Tokyo after staff frequently visited the institution. Warwick is also to accommodate for a single Japanese student, selected by The University of Tokyo.

The programme will provide the selected Warwick student with a full bursary to support their studies, along with accommodation in halls of residence at the University of Tokyo and return air fare.

The successful student will spend between 10 and 12 months in Japan from October 2013 for the full academic year, with the opportunity to also stay over the summer break of 2014.

Applicants do not need any previous knowledge of the Japanese language; only an interest in learning it and taking language classes, along with lessons about Japanese culture and society.

Helen Johnson, Head of Study Abroad at Warwick told the Boar: “We ask all of the students to really think about why they want to go to Japan.
“What we are looking for is a student who demonstrates either academically, linguistically, or for their future career that they have a very strong reason why studying in Japan would be beneficial.”

The application form can be found on the Warwick website until the end of January.

Ms Johnson added: “We’re considering other options for students to travel to Japan at the moment, including a new programme where 10 politics undergraduates can study in the country.”