Vialli’s stabber sentenced

**A man has been sentenced for the stabbing which took place at a fast food restaurant in Leamington in September 2012.**

A 19 year old has been sentenced to five years and two months imprisonment for stabbing Daniel Barton.

The incident took place at 2:30am on September 19 2012 at popular Leamington takeaway Vialli’s. Barton required treatment at Warwick Hospital for a five inch wound to the head.

The defendant pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possessing a knife in a public place at Warwick Crown Court.

The attacker was identified the day after the stabbing by a neighbourhood officer from a CCTV image and was subsequently arrested, charged and remanded in custody later that day.

Detective sergeant Carl Buckley of Warwickshire Police, the investigating officer, said: “We were delighted to arrest [the attacker] so soon after the assault and to be able to quickly reassure the public he was remanded in custody.”

Despite the incident, one second-year PPE student said that he still felt “as safe as I ever have” while on a night out in Leamington.

He added that some isolated incidents were “inevitable because of the number of people who go out in Leamington”.