‘Sent to Coventry’ reality TV show launching

A new scripted-reality TV programme is to be set in Coventry.

Called ‘Sent to Coventry’, the show follows a string of similar, successful programmes including ‘The Only Way is Essex’ and ‘Made in Chelsea.’

The show is a joint venture between the BBC and Endemol, the production company behind Big Brother. A pilot is expected to be shot in the coming months.

Producers have said the show will be a grittier affair than the likes of TOWIE and Geordie Shore, focusing more on real life issues with people from all walks of life.

Richard Wood, one of the producers behind the production said: “The show will be much more real than its rivals, but still be very entertaining. We want to have a diverse range of people: young, old, professional, or jobless so that we can create a fantastic show that appeals to all ages.

“We ideally want everyone from the city to audition, so do not think twice about coming down, you might just be exactly what we are looking for.”

Student reaction has been mixed: second-year Theatre and Performing Arts student Rachel Johnson thinks the programme won’t improve Coventry’s image. She commented: “I can’t imagine it’ll give Cov a great image; it’s not the nicest of places already.

“I’m not in to those sorts of programmes but because it’s set in Coventry I probably would give it a go. I think they make these programmes in a way that generalises all the people there to a certain heightened stereotype. I don’t see how they could make Cov look like a lovely glamorous place, it’s just not!”

Second-year Maths student Robin James Kerrison said: “I’m slightly annoyed that my home town of Newcastle has been tarnished by the existence of Geordie Shore, but if these shows are becoming the norm for cities all around the UK, Coventry deserves its slice of the pseudo-reality pie.

“Also, I only know Coventry for Lady Godiva and the blitz, so I figure anything which updates its image is a good thing. There’s no such thing as bad publicity, after all.”

Auditions are taking place at Seven Nightclub, Hales Street, Coventry, at 10am on Friday, January 11. Applicants must be over 18 to take part.