A quarter of Warwick students now get firsts

**A quarter of Warwick students obtained a first-class honours degree last year, according to statistics released by the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).**

3510 degrees were awarded at the University last year, with 840 students receiving a first.
One-sixth of students on average nationally were awarded firsts in 2011-12, which is an increase of 16 percent on the previous year and more than double that of ten years ago.
University spokesperson Peter Dunn attributed the high number of firsts to Warwick’s stellar reputation.

“Warwick is one of the top 10 research universities in the UK as measured in every UK university league table,” he said.

“The students who apply here come with high qualifications to start with (As and Bs at A level) and they benefit from a research intensive environment where 40 percent of our students are actually postgraduate – it is therefore no surprise that our students perform well.”
Mr Dunn said that no action would be taken to modify grade boundaries in light of the findings, and refuted claims that a high number of students obtaining firsts could lead to ‘grade inflation’ and consequently hurt students’ prospects in the job market.

A Telegraph report on Monday 14 January found that Warwick is the number one target for graduate recruitment by top employers.

Students’ Union (SU) education officer James Entwistle said he would not suggest that high numbers of students receiving firsts devalues the qualification, but “it’s important the University continues to oversee and regulate degree classifications effectively to maintain the rigour of a Warwick degree.”

Mr Entwistle explained that the SU is working closely with the University on the implementation of HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Report).

HEAR provides a single comprehensive record of a learner’s achievement and takes into consideration things such as extra-curricular activities, employability awards and volunteer work.

“We’d be keen to see the scheme progress to part-time students and postgraduates if there is enthusiasm for the scheme,” he said.

Third-year Comparative American Studies (CAS) student Mikey Lindfield thinks it makes a “huge” difference in getting a job or internship if you have a first-class degree.
“It just means I will have to do more than just get a first,” he said. “I’ll need to have done extra-curricular activities. It’s not enough to just turn up to exams and do well.”
Henry Jinman, a third-year Politics and International Studies (PAIS) student, is aiming for a job in the City and would like to get a first.

He was surprised that over a quarter of Warwick students got firsts, but said that it wouldn’t stop him aiming for the top grade.

“There is definitely a pressure to do extra-curricular stuff,” he added. “I am the president of a society and my decision to run for the position was in part due to the perceptions of the outside world on my employability.

Last year, 55 percent of Warwick students received a 2:1, 16 percent a 2:2, and 4 percent a third-class or pass degree.