New LGB support group established

As of 2013, the University of Warwick’s counselling service has established a new Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual (LGB) student support group.

The support group will be helping students who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual or those who are unsure about their sexuality. The support group provides group discussions for students to talk about their issues: coming out with their sexuality, difficulties with stereotypes, relationships, self-esteem and self-acceptance.

When asked whether students were not getting enough support previously, Head of Communications Office Peter Dunn told the Boar: “No. In fact it is the success of the current LGB networks that has prompted the creation of this group.

“The new LGB group complements that successful and vibrant environment with a smaller, easily accessible and confidential network which requires less confidence to join. It provides another way for LGB students to have a safe, supportive and confidential setting to meet and talk with other LGB students.”

Michael Bailey, President of the Warwick Pride society, commented: “This support group is a wonderful step forwards by the University. Whilst we try to cater for as many scenarios and orientations as possible, some people prefer or need the support of trained counsellors and some just need more support than we are able to give.

“There is great amount of support available for LGBT students, however, a lot of it is biased towards those who are ‘out’ or partially ‘out’, which has always missed out those who may most need support to come to terms with how they are feeling.”

When asked whether the support group would benefit many people, Mr Bailey said: “Whilst this area does not have rampant homophobia, the issues that LGBT students face here are very similar to those elsewhere.

“Coming to a new environment and discovering that they are either somewhere where they can be themselves without ramifications affecting family life and the friends they have always known or even coming away to university and… discovering that they aren’t the person they always thought themselves to be.”