More fast-track apprenticeships for school leavers

**Under new government plans young people will no longer need a university degree in order to pursue a career in the civil service.**

The cabinet office minister, Francis Maude and head of the civil service, Sir Bob Kerslake, announced this week that the first 100 non-graduate apprentices, for people aged 18 to 21, will be recruited in April 2013 to work in government departments.

Apprentices will receive on the job training from September 2013 for at least 2 years, with the scheme aiming to lead school leavers to permanent careers in the civil service.

The government has indicated that they intend to increase the number of places on offer to 500 per year, matching that of the fast-track apprenticeship scheme currently open to university graduates.

This is a further example of the government’s efforts to provide alternative routes into careers previously reserved for graduates.

This civil service apprenticeship scheme follows the previous week’s announcement of similar apprenticeships in law and accountancy, offering qualifications at an equivalent level to a Master’s degree.

Asked whether such schemes would affect applications to Warwick, the University’s communications officer, Peter Dunn, replied: “At present we really have no idea.”

Concerning the new apprenticeship schemes, sixth form student, Xanthe Pierce, said to the _Boar_: “I am happy that there are more options available as uni is not for everyone and even the smartest people may choose not to go.

“However, university is still a priority for me and the news of such schemes does not make me any less willing to go.”

Head of the civil service, Sir Bob Kerslake, told the _Guardian_: “We are committed to giving more young people a chance to work at the heart of government and to receive first-class training.

“Just because someone hasn’t been to university doesn’t mean they shouldn’t have a bright career ahead of them.”

Cabinet minister Francis Maude went on to emphasise the importance of international competitiveness by saying: “we are in a global race and we need to attract more of the best talent, including those who have chosen not to pursue higher education.”