Have no fear, it’s only New Year

**Every year newspapers are littered with articles writing about how futile it is to make New Year’s resolutions. These pieces usually go a particular way; first explaining how by the end of the year we will feel the need to change following a negative/unhealthy/unproductive/futile/any undesirable verb which works, year. Said commentary will then go on to explain how as a result of this we will consequently feel the urge to change with the dawning of a year, and then spend the next couple of paragraphs how this is a complete waste of time because we will never change.**

But this article will take a different approach because I think that there is no better way to start the year than with resolutions. A new year is an opportunity, not to reinvent yourself, but to make those changes that have been bubbling at the back of your brain for the last few weeks or months. What better time is there than a new year? There are a whole 12 months ahead to fulfil a small list of minor changes, because let’s face it we don’t usually challenge ourselves with these resolutions. Conventionally generic resolutions are: give up smoking, lose some weight, work harder, go to bed earlier/later, and so on. Not exactly rocket science to accomplish.

So why is there such a stigma attached to making New Year’s resolutions? I recently told a friend of mine that I was writing my resolutions and she laughed in my face, asking “What’s the point?” Where does this negativity come from? Is it that we are living in such a negative world that the idea of making positive changes is laughable? Or is it maybe, simply, a fear of failure? After all it’s not a great feeling when you eat that bar of chocolate or light that cigarette when you promised yourself you would give up! All of these are reasons why there is a stigma, why people think they’re perhaps a waste of time, but I do not see any of these as a reason not to at least try.

So I urge you to go and get a pen, and sit down long and hard. Don’t write anything too unachievable; getting a first when you’re only just getting thirds is perhaps a bit unattainable, world peace is possibly not in your power. Think about what it is that bothers you about yourself, no one else. Think about ways you would like to improve. Think about your future. Don’t be put off by the prospect of failure, because if we don’t strive to do better nothing is going to change.