Former Bank of England boss for WES

Andrew Bailey, former executive director of Banking and Chief Cashier at the Bank of England, is to speak at the Warwick Economics Summit to be held between 15-17 February.

Mr Bailey was a key figure during the banking crisis of 2007.

He currently sits on the Governor’s Executive Committee and is to take up the role of deputy chief executive of the Prudential Regulation Authority, a successor to the Financial Services Authority, in 2013.

As Chief Cashier, Mr Bailey was charged with issuing bank notes and his signature appears on the current range of £20 notes.

He joins Dr Martin Weale as a speaker, who served for 15 years as director of the National Institute of Economic and Social Research, and who sits on the Bank of England’s Monetary Policy Committee, in charge of setting interest rates.

Previous speakers have included Nobel Economics Laureate Professor John F. Nash Jr, Alistair Darling the Chancellor of the Exchequer who presided over the credit crunch, Johannes Linn the former World Bank Vice President and Dr. Kandeh Yumkella Director General of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization.

The student run event is now in its eleventh year. The summit moves beyond the just economic topics, also focussing in the spheres of politics, international relations and development.