China summer school opportunity

**The University has been given the opportunity to send ten non-finalist undergraduate students to join the International Summer School of Renmin University, one of the top universities in Bejing, China.**

In the four week program, students will have the option to study a wide range of disciplines including, law, economics, and business. They can also attend classes on Chinese politics, language and culture.

All courses (except for language lessons) are taught in English by professors from both China and abroad. Students will also get the chance to experience Chinese culture by partaking in sight-seeing tours to attractions like the Great Wall, the Peking Opera and Forbidden City.

Former participant Cathy Watts enjoyed her time at the Summer School so much that she returned to China after graduation to teach English.

She said: “Each day we learnt lots about China and the Chinese language – for me, improvement in the latter came mainly through our attempts to order food as well as more subtle details of Beijing life through the people and places we encountered practically every time that we left our dorms.”

Students on the program will not have to pay tuition fees, but will be responsible for paying for their own accommodation, airfares and living costs.

Second year Morse student Dmitrijs Murins also supports the programme: “it’s a great opportunity to learn to interact with people from different cultural backgrounds, especially China is the future with its rising economy.”

Helen Johnson, assistant director of International Office, told the _Boar_ that the Summer School had been a success in previous years.

“It’s our fourth year of sending students to Renmin University. At first we were not sure if our students would like to go participate,” she said.

“It’s really an adventure. But then we found the feedbacks all very positive, and there were many more applicants the second year.”

Students can apply via the International Office’s website before January 31.

“We are looking for good ambassadors of Warwick. So the students who are more involved in activities and societies may have more advantage,” said Helen.