One of the talks of the week. Photo: Andy Vicat Brown

Campus hosts Holocaust Remembrance Week

The University of Warwick looked back on a period in history which affected, and continues to affect, millions in the Holocaust Remembrance Week.

The aim of last week’s events was to raise awareness of the Holocaust and to encourage students to apply moral lessons and dilemmas to modern life.

Hava Kranat, the organiser of the events, told the Boar: “The whole point of the Holocaust Remembrance Week is to lead up to the Holocaust Memorial Day.

“It is a really important day, and isn’t commemorated on campus as much as it should be.”

The series of events featured perspectives of the Holocaust from eye-witness accounts, research and exhibitions to promote awareness in students across campus.

The first event was a talk by Mary Mihovilovic from the Holocaust Educational Trust.

She wanted to portray to people the “mosaic of victims” involved in the genocides, as not only were 6 million Jews killed but over 200,000 gypsies and thousands of political prisoners, homosexuals, disabled people and Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Hava, who is in her third year studying Psychology, commented: “Quite a lot of these groups are generally overlooked, so that’s why I decided to focus on other groups, and not just Jews, which is what people traditionally associate the Holocaust with.

“Over 11 million people were actually murdered, not only 6 million.”

Ms Mihovilovic touched on personal stories in her talk, such as Roman gypsy survivor Rita Prigmore who was abducted for Nazi experimentation, along with her twin, as a baby.