The Boar’s Sounds of 2013

Last year saw the leftfield coming to the fore with experimentation as the name of the game, particularly as guitar music’s ‘Rip Van Winkle’-esque hibernation continues (apparently only just starting to draw to a close). Whilst there was a wealth of false starts and near-misses, the successes of last year were largely in the realm of outsider’s potentials being fulfilled and pop music often very successfully dipping its toe into waters of a more avant-garde composition. Heck!, even the most ubiquitous / inane / amazing hit of the latter half of 2012 was from a K-Pop oddball.

Perhaps as a consequence, those being tipped for success in the year ahead are of a surprising anonymity and diversity that hasn’t been the case in this sort of list for many a moon. With that in mind, we’ll be picking out a variety of acts from all over the spectrum who you really ought to keep an eye out for in the year ahead, all of which are seeking to claim their rightful thrones.

ND: **HAIM**

After being named winners of the BBC’s Sound List 2013, this LA-based sisterly trio are set to go stratospheric. Having appeared on the cover of NME with only an EP (_Forever_) to their name, with their infectious harmonies, pop-rock vibe and awesome dance moves (catch me imitating them at the next Nana’s Palace), it’s easy to understand the hype. Get on the bandwagon.

CS: **CHVURCHES**

Epic, lush electro-pop from Glasgow, if first singles ‘Lies’ and ‘The Mother We Share’ are any indication – and the signs are very good. Something like latter-day **M83** brought up on a diet of turn-of-the-century R&B, until they found their Dad’s battered copy of _Violator_. Their upcoming debut ought to be a total banger. Get on board.

ND: **JAKE BUGG**

Perhaps past the point of buzz, **Jake Bugg**’s 2012/3 tour around England is already a sell-out. Hard to believe he’s only eighteen! His self-titled debut album switches between mellow acoustics and addictive riffs, whilst his stripped-back, gritty lyrics let his vocals do the talking. Evocative, refreshing, and honest.

CS: **ALUNAGEORGE**

The singles they’ve been dropping quarterly since 2011 have been stellar, each like a fresh brushstroke as they flesh out the sonic landscape they’re starting to claim their own. Aluna oozes superstar potential and June’s Body Music ought to see her soar into orbit, but it’s George Reid’s production that’s the real cornerstone here. Fusing noughties garage with the multifarious shades and textures of the befuddling contemporary electronic landscape (I’ve given up trying to keep up for 2013, just check Bleep and Resident Advisor) to bring a mesmerising, dynamic sound to the party that’s going to feel so fresh wherever you hear it rear its head – from the most hipster of establishments to Radio 1’s A-list.

ND: **INDIANA**

Another singer-songwriter from Nottingham, **Indiana**’s spine-tingling, haunting vocals are the perfect soundtrack to all your pensive, rainy bus journeys to and from campus. The emotive, sultry tones of her current single ‘Blind As I Am’ should hopefully get her signed, because I want more of where that came from.

CS: **FIDLAR**

This band’s name is an acronym for ‘Fuck It Dog, Life’s A Risk’. If that’s not enough to persuade you to give this LA surfer-punk quartet a whirl, then a couple of minutes with ‘Cheap Beer’ certainly ought to do the trick. Their self-titled debut album is due towards the end of the month, so you’ve got your summer party record six months in advance. Much obliged.

ND: **MIKKY EKKO**

He’s featured on **Rihanna**’s chart-topping single ‘Stay’ and has his own single ‘Pull Me Down’ from his forthcoming debut album currently released. It makes for a brooding mix of R&B and soul, electronic beats and soothing vocals, angst and emotion. Catch him supporting Jessie Ware on tour in March.

CS: **FOXYGEN**

Their EP _Take The Kids Off Broadway_ contained ‘Make It Known’, a brilliantly catchy postmodern update of **The Rolling Stones**, which wormed its way into being one of my favourite songs of the year. With this in mind, the excellently-titled _We Are the 21st Century Ambassadors of Peace and Magic_ out on Jagjaguwar on the 22nd January ought to be rather dandy indeed: exquisitely off-kilter with gorgeous horns and harmonies, finished off with a hefty hunk of blues-funk for good measure.

ND: **ELLE KING**

Oozing the influences of **Otis Redding** and **Etta James**, King’s raw vocals and toe-tapping guitar riffs are making her hot property. Her bluesy tunes can be heard on _The Elle King EP_, with ‘Playing For Keeping’ standing out for its sheer likeability and catchiness. One thing’s for sure, this girl has got attitude.

CS: **TOM ODELL**

A young man who’s attracting a rather substantial portion of hype for his soulful piano-folk, which shades of **Jeff Buckley** via all the best moments of the ‘New Beige’. Recent single ‘Can’t Pretend’ is absolutely excellent, emblematic of his sound in its switching back-and-forth from fragile melancholy to foot-stomping. It could be a very big year for Mr Odell, if the songwriting fulfils the bounteous potential that it has peacocked about thus far.

ND: **PEACE**

Hailing from Birmingham, this indie quartet has already established something of a cult following of fans who turn up to gigs tattooed with peace signs. You can hear the house influence on their indie-dance tunes, ‘Bloodshake’ especially, and there’s a frenetic energy to most of their EP. Think this year’s **Foals** / **Maccabees**.

CS: **RHYE**

‘The Fall’ and ‘Open’ were two absolutely sublime ways to introduce this project last year: sensuous, artful, and simply beautiful. The vocals in particular are quite simply immaculate, sweet, androgynous and enrapturing. Their record, entitled _Woman_, is somewhere out there on the Internet, but its official release is something to get very excited about indeed. Great things are in the pipeline.

ND: **BEBE BLACK**

A London-based singer set to make waves this year after signing with Columbia Records, her dance anthems and striking sound have definite potential. Think **Goldfrapp** or **La Roux**, with more energy and passion.

CS: **EARL SWEATSHIRT**

Freed Earl is by far and away the best thing the hip-hop side of **Odd Future** has come out with. His appearances with **Flying Lotus** and **Frank Ocean** last year paved the way for the release of ‘Chum’, a single which fully marked him out as lyrically superior, ditching some of the disreputable content displayed on his self-titled mixtape for an introspective, mature edge which ensured that he didn’t lose any of the dark, mesmerising flow and production which had made him so captivating in the first place.

ND: **MILO GREENE**

A distinctly folky quintet from L.A., all acoustics and harmonies, it’s not surprising to hear that they’ve toured with the **Civil Wars**. Their single ‘1957’ is magical, atmospheric and summery. One wants to run about amongst sun-dappled trees and take Polaroid photos after listening to it.

CS: **ARTHUR BEATRICE**

Inching their way along the production line, **Arthur Beatrice** have a record all tied up now, that ought to be emerging in the near-future: an astute choice of words as such an emergence perfectly fits their sound. A sense of release – and relief – of breaking into an open, sun-drenched meadow from dense woodland accompanies the listener from the moment they press play. The value of time and space in every rich, beautifully composed track – and care over every release, and even every announcement – suggests that this ought to be one that’ll continue to reward those who venture upon it.