Leam lights-up for Christmas

Leamington’s Christmas lights were switched on last Sunday during the annual ‘Yuletide Fayre.’

A programme of entertainment started on The Parade at 12.45pm which featured a range of local performers including dancers, musicians, a choir group, and the radio station ‘Touch FM.’

The main switch-on at 5pm was led by Leamington mayor Councillor Yvonne Moore along with the stars of this year’s Spa Centre pantomime Snow White, and Father Christmas.

Speaking before the event, Councillor Kinson said: “This is one of our most popular events of the year and with thousands attending last year I’m sure we’ll see even bigger crowds this year.

“The event brings us all together to launch the festive season and I hope you and your families will have an enjoyable afternoon out.”

Second-year student Serena Deakin attended the switch-on with her housemates for the first time. She said: “Now I live in Leamington I thought it would be nice to walk down to The Parade and check it out. It was a really nice atmosphere and the lights make the town look even nicer at night.”

However, one third year Engineering student said he wasn’t particularly interested in the display because the lights were based mainly on The Parade.

He said: “I live in South Leamington so I couldn’t be bothered to walk up to the top of the High Street to see it. They should spread them out more evenly because there is no display where I live.”

The light switch marks the start of late night shopping on the high street each Thursday, along with the festive markets which take place each Sunday until December 23.