Dead & Born & Grown

**Watford sisters Emily, Jessica and Camilla Staveley-Taylor have made a good fist of their debut album. With a handful of EPs already behind them, the group have crafted a sound which falls somewhere between alt-country and traditional English folk. Inspired by Gillian Welch and the literate storytelling of Laura Marling, _Dead & Born & Grown_ should see The Staves propelled further into the public consciousness.**

All the elements of humble folksongs are in place: fingerpicked guitars, sandy drums and the occasional organ are all present, but the real appeal lies in the way that the sisters unite to deliver such rich harmonies. Their tightly-wound vocals are instantly foregrounded on opener “Wisely & Slow”, as verses are sung untouched by additional instrumentation for over a minute. Consequently, you’ll be sure from the off whether or not this kind of music is your cup of tea.

Although it isn’t immune to retreating into overly-safe territory, for the most part, _Dead & Born & Grown_ is a sumptuous treat for the ears. “Gone Tomorrow” is an exquisite shuffle which progresses into a rapturous display of vocal talent, but the real riches are found when The Staves allow a chill to permeate the warm atmospheres. “Winter Trees” churns into an enchanting, rhythmic gallop, and the stomping “Tongue Behind My Teeth” brings a touch of spooky drama to the album’s latter half.

Beautiful in its simplicity, and filled with sublime textures, _Dead & Born & Grown_ is a warm and comforting collection, tailor-made to accompany the winter season.

**MP3:** ‘Tongue Behind My Teeth’ **Similar To:** Laura Marling, The Pierces