Uni supporting talented students

The International Gateway for Gifted Youth (IGGY), an organization founded by the University of Warwick to assist talented high school students around the world, recently launched their new social networking site.

The new social networking site has been developed in an effort to provide resources for gifted high school students. The main aim being to encourage gifted individuals in the hope that they will pursue their interests and reach their full potentials.

IGGY offers members a range of learning opportunities through different projects and challenges, covering a variety of subject fields. It also provides support materials by academics on such things as advice for exams and university applications.

Members of IGGY have praised the extra opportunities they have been given as a result of this new social network, saying that it enables them to go further in challenging themselves academically.

The new venture combines a support network of academics with gifted high school students from around the world and the possibility of global interactions between gifted and talented students has been welcomed by IGGY members.

Janey Walker, Director of IGGY, said: “IGGY offers a unique opportunity for [students] to work with some of the world’s top academics and to connect with other gifted students across the world.”

IGGY is aimed at students from the ages of thirteen to eighteen. Membership is exclusively for the gifted and talented and requires an email from the school to confirm the gifted and talented status of the student.

Although this service usually requires a membership fee, it also aims to provide for disadvantaged students as well as students local to the University of Warwick. For this purpose it provides free membership to some students from lower-income communities and schools across Warwickshire.

The organisation also aims to reach a global and international population. IGGY is already recruiting members on a global scale in countries such as Singapore and Saudi Arabia.