New Café Library opens

**The Café Library extension was opened today after months of building work.**

A tape was cut at 10am by the entrance to Library 2 and the door was opened to let in the small queue of students that had already formed in order to take advantage of the offer of a free speciality coffee and cranberry and orange muffin for the first ten customers.

The café, which was built over the summer through the start of this term, has increased the space and number of seats in the existing Library Café, as well as adding another bar. The new area was almost full at lunchtime on its opening day, with most of the seats occupied.

“Library café has been our busiest outlet for a number of years,” said Mark Potter, retail operations director at Warwick Retail.

“What we wanted to do was make somewhere that not only gave us additional capacity, but also felt much less institutional, we wanted it to be somewhere you could relax and do work.”

The project had existed as idea and then implementation for the best part of two years, and he said that Warwick Retail is “delighted” by the University’s re-investment in its facilities on campus.

As well as being able to take advantage of the initial offer, which some students said they had waited twenty minutes for, there were also other free snacks, such as biscotti and chilli hot chocolate, which were also available to anyone visiting the café.

Student Thomas Preston said that this was “perhaps the most exciting morning of [his] university career”, whilst another student happily declared that “free muffins are good”.