MP to the rescue for Bath Place

Chris White, MP for Leamington and Warwick, has sent a formal objection to Warwick District Council over plans to convert The Old Library on York Road into luxury flats.

Mr White’s office told the Boar: “The Old Library site is an important facility for the local community which should be maintained for community use.

“If the planning application was go to ahead it could significantly reduce the community facilities available to the local community which would have a significant impact…there is local demand for a community amenity at the Old Library.

“No viable alternative site in the nearby area has been given for community activities.”

Clayton Denwood, a spokesman from the Community Venture said: “We feel this is an extraordinarily positive statement and would like to commend and thank Chris for his support for retaining the Old Library as a community facility.

“We’ve always believed we’ve been in tune with the national agenda around the third sector and have been for many years.”

Bath Place were ousted from the Old Library site in September.

The site had been home to the community group for three years, after a fire destroyed their former site.

Warwickshire College offered use of the Old Library site to BPCV, however decided to sell the site to pay for repairs to its main campus.

Plans submitted by ‘Tag exclusive properties’ to convert the premises into 28 luxury flats received over 250 formal objections. Conservation group English Heritage oppose the plans to change the internal structure of the building.

A planning meeting will be held by Warwick District Council at the Town Hall in Leamington Spa, on Tuesday 6 November at 6pm, to decide the future of the Old Library site.