Major research grant for Warwick-Monash

**One of the first major research grants from the alliance between the University of Warwick and Monash University in Australia has been awarded to a joint project researching optical wireless technology.**

The Australian Research Council awarded the collaboration between Warwick’s Professor Roger Green and Monash’s Professor Jean Armstrong a Discovery Grant of $410,000 (£267,000).

The aim of the project is to develop new short-range communications systems with virtually unlimited bandwidth, which combine the convenience of wireless with the speed of optical communications.

Optical wireless technology relies on the transmission of data through light. Now a mainstream form of radio communications, the techniques find applications in many areas, including secure wi-fi using room lighting and satellite-to-satellite links. It can also be used underwater where radio communications cannot.

It is already used every day – more simple forms of it are found in remote controls, while more complicated forms can transmit larger amounts of information around rooms and vehicles.

Professor Green told the _Boar_ that optical wireless technology offers strong commercial potential: “It is very cheap as it uses devices and optics already developed for the mass market optical fibre links, which convey the internet around the world and to everyone’s local phone exchanges.”

However, optical wireless communications are free space, meaning they do not need fibre, and this saves cost and installation charges.

While licensing of the radio frequency spectrum is another common cost of communications, using conventional wireless communications, such as mobile phones, optical wireless frequencies and wavelengths are free.

The grant will be based at Monash, where it will fund a postdoctoral researcher working for Professors Green and Armstrong, and for Professor Green to travel to Monash as a co-investigator.

The two professors have worked together for some time, and initially benefited from early investment.

Benefits of the grant will also be seen at Warwick. Professor Armstrong will travel here to work on the project, enabling the professors to plan joint research publications.

As Professor Green is International Exchange Coordinator for the School of Engineering, two of Warwick’s undergraduates are currently enjoying the Australian climate for an academic year.

Professor Green added: “The grant cements my collaboration with Professor Armstrong on a research level and also on an undergraduate and teaching level quite visibly.”