Learning Grid Leamington opens its doors

**The Learning Grid Leamington was officially opened this afternoon [5th Nov] at 12.00pm, offering students a place to study in Leamington Spa. **

Located in Leamington’s Town Hall, the facility offers study space for up to fifty students at once, including eighteen fixed computer spaces, as well as quiet study desks and a bookable group study room.

The layout is split between bookable and non-bookable spaces to ensure that students have a fair chance of getting a space.

Only three students were at the Leamington Grid by 12.30pm, but the first to arrive, third-year History and Politics student Tom Wadlow, got there almost dead-on the hour.

“It’s beneficial for someone like me who doesn’t have stuff on every day,” he said. “There’s no need to go to campus.”

When studying for his exams last year, he found getting a seat in the library a “nightmare” and hopes the new Grid will reduce demand on the Library.

“I would use the facility if I could get a space,” he said. “That’s why I think booking spaces is a good idea.”

Mr Wadlow was closely followed by Jakob Goransson, a second-year PPE student, who came to the Grid because he thought it would be a good start to Reading Week and wanted to find out where he would be spending Term 3.

He noted that the atmosphere, particularly the lighting, was more congenial than that of the Library, especially since the light in the UK is so different from his native Sweden.

“It’s very light,” he said. “It would be good in winter.”

But he wondered why there were so many computers since “most people just bring their own.”

He added: “This might make the U1 a little less crowded.”

Becky Woolley, Manager of the Teaching Grid and Learning Grid who was present for the opening, said that the University had not marketed the Grid too heavily as they knew demand would be high.

“Because it’s quite a small space we wanted to make sure we wouldn’t be deluged in the beginning,” she said. “I’m sure we’ll have more people later.”

Ms Woolley hopes the Leamington Grid will do something to ease congestion on the campus study facilities.

“The Learning Grid, once you get to this time in the term, gets very busy. It gives people the chance who are living in Leamington to study without having to come onto campus,” she said.

Students can book a computer or the group study room for 1-5 hour periods. Bookings can be made for any date within the current term, but bookings for future terms can only be made when that term begins.

The Leamington Grid will be open from 12.00-22.00 Monday-Friday and 09.00-17.00 on the weekend.