Ladies’ Hockey hope to raise £600 in Movember fundraiser

Ladies’ Hockey are planning a month of Movember-themed events and socials to raise awareness for prostate cancer.

The 85-member strong club will have Movember-related socials throughout November. Each member will donate £1 for every social.

The planned socials include ‘Moovember’ where all members dress as cows and an ‘M’ themed night where everyone dresses as something beginning with M.

Members will also wear moustaches at every circle.

“I’m really looking forward to the ‘m’ social because I’m going as Marge Simpson! I think the whole thing is a great idea, always looking for new ways to raise money for charity,” said second-team captain and third-year Politics and International Studies student Jo Boddy.

The club will be selling Movember t-shirts, at a cost of £5, downstairs in the library and on the piazza every weekday throughout the month.

Social secs Hannah Rawson and Billie Shepherd are organising the fundraiser.

“Women can’t grow moustaches so we’re showing women can still get involved but in different ways,” said Hannah. “We want to get our name out on campus to show how much we do for charity.”

Hannah said the club hopes to raise £600.

Charity sec and third-year Engineering student Natalie Wride explained why the club feel Movember is important.

She said: “We mainly raise money for the Debbie Fund which focuses on cervical cancer so we felt we should be aware prostate cancer is also a big killer.”