Photo: Warwick University

Consultation to be held over piazza big screen

Warwick students and staff will be in discussion over the next few weeks regarding whether or not to bring back the large screen that was overlooking the piazza throughout the summer.

There will be an open consultation on Tuesday 13 November (week 7) in the Arts Centre between 8.30am and 2.30pm for anyone wishing to share their thoughts and give feedback about its possible return.

It is believed that developers are considering further possible uses of the big screen, such as advertising, publicity for societies or even social events.

Over the summer, it was used to stream live coverage of the London 2012 Olympics, to show graduation ceremonies, open days and the Vice-Chancellor’s welcome message to new students, amongst other important events.

Feedback has been generally positive, with students commending the variety of coverage that was provided.

First-year engineering student George Beadle commented: “I miss the big screen. I used to enjoy sitting on the piazza steps and watching it whilst eating my lunch.”

Other students have objected to a return of the screen, saying that it was an eyesore. The Warwick Green Party in particular expressed concern about energy consumption and said the screen would be an unnecessary waste of electricity.

In contrast some students were even unaware of its existence. Management student Ryan Smith, when asked for his opinion on the instalment, replied: “What big screen?”

The expenses involved in the running of the screen were another potential issue, but there have been ideas about how to offset any costs by displaying adverts from various companies for a price.

Students are being encouraged to fill out a feedback form online to see whether the majority would like to see the screen as a more permanent fixture on campus, as in the past it has only been installed on a temporary basis.